Wednesday, April 20, 2011

alarmed

This here is a sad recap of my latest frustration:

I have noticed something extremely alarming about myself. I'm a big hypocrite.
There is a golden rule, written in the Bible, and adhered to throughout time and by many societies.
The idea is "do to others, what you'd have them do to you."

In my world, I expect fairness just as I expect the water to run out of the faucet every time I turn it on. But I am not a fair person. I contradict myself. Albeit, I'm not deliberately mean, I'm frankly unjust.

I expect my sister to listen carefully to what I am most passionate about, yet when my own niece starts doing the same, I write it off as a ridiculous seventh grade obsession and start zoning off. I hate when someone is cross, and will take it out on me. Oh wait, I got irked at my nephew yesterday evening for an unintentional act of his. It's so frustrating to me when someone is selfish, because personally it's about me not them [I subconciously think this at times, because why else would I be frustrated if something was centered on someone else]. It is also annoying when someone borrows a belonging of mine and doesn't give it back. But, please don't come to my room and go through my closets contents however, as there is a pile of things I have yet to give back to people. Somehow, I find it acceptable to want to change the subject when somebody is [according to me] blabbering about something dull, but don't you dare interrupt me, I probably have something important to say. When I was little, I loved it when one of my sisters would let me borrow something she owned. But with my niece, it's a whole different case, I guess I was more careful than she [right], and she'll probably somehow get a tear in my skirt on her way to church. There's an abundant supply of examples where those came from.

Often, I think it's perfectly okay to do certain things I wouldn't tolerate from others.

You've just witnessed the voice of my inner egotist/hypocrite. A very pathetic, but true depiction this is. In my heart, I am so far from being like Christ. From now on, I resolve to truly treat others the way I would want to be treated, in all instances.

6 comments:

  1. Nice post. I have the same problem and I hate it. Most people don't even realize that they have this problem, although I'm sure everyone does.
    I think once you're aware of it, you'll start noticing it more and changing things as they come up.
    It's a process, but I think awareness is the first step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has these problems. They say that what bothers us the most about other people are the qualities that we do ourselves.

    I think that most people in general are selfish and it's hard to learn patience for others. Growing up in family of 7 people I had to be patient. I also learned that the Golden Rule is really "treat others the way they want to be treated". We don't all like to be treated the same way, so we have to be mindful of other people's wants and needs.

    We are all human, we all make mistakes. Just imagine how boring things would be if we already knew everything and were practically perfect in every way... ;)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh so true
    it so natural for us to expect so much out of people...all discontentment comes from expectations not being met, and yet we don't set those expectations for ourselves

    thanks for sharing
    and thanks for giving my book back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments folks, they're very insightful and encouraging.
    Artem: I guess it's better to be aware, than blind. It hurts to see yourself for who you truly are, but this is always a good kind of pain.
    Jess: That's a good point you make about treating others the way they want to be treated, because people do have different preferences.
    Olga: We definitely need to start measuring ourselves with the standards we set for others, we'll quickly notice we fall pretty short.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post reminds me of when Paul writes "I do what I don't want to do; I don't do what I want to do." The first step to change is acceptance. And God knows we struggle with this daily (I know I do!). We begin to move forward only when we become aware of it... surrender it to God daily... Because I know that I on my own am powerless against the bad in me. It's Christ in me that turns my weakness into His strenght. Thanks for helping me realize this once more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for your reminder Yana...in our weakness, He is stronger

    ReplyDelete