Thursday, August 19, 2010

A sinner needing only Jesus


“God never places us in any position in which we can not grow. We may fancy that He does. We may fear we are so impeded by fretting, petty cares that we are gaining nothing; but when we are not sending any branches upward, we may be sending roots downward. Perhaps in the time of our humiliation, when everything seems a failure, we are making the best kind of progress."-Elizabeth Prentiss
This quote really hits home right now. I feel like such a failure as a Christian. There is so much in me, that is not of Him. I see my selfishness, my pride, and my failures. Sin truly blinds a person. Often, we think everyone elses sin is worse than ours, when our own logs are in the way. I'm not surprised, pride is always irrational and stupid. I feel like it's so easy for us, especially in my amazing church where the truth is always portrayed so vividly, to think that getting by is okay. Just doing the minimal. That's such hypocrisy..I am really speaking for myself. The minimal that I do has gotten really old for me. I feel dissapointed and disatisfied with where I'm at, to say the least. What's the point of all this great truth if I don't live it every moment for God's glory. It's useless. Jesus please please help me to stop wasting the truth I know. I just want to live for those around me, but my ridiculous "me" gets in the way. It seems simple to overcome yourself, yet it's difficult. The quote I posted at the top really brought me amazing encouragement. Even though it feels like I'm stuck in a rut with my Christian growth, I know He's always at work. And He promised to finish it. The cross is amazingly beautiful to me at times like these, when I know I could NEVER have earned anything, when I see myself as the sinner that I am. I guess that's a blessing in itself. How easily I grow hardened to the gospel, Praise God that He can open my eyes again and again.
image

4 comments:

  1. I love that quote and totally know what you mean
    My favorite verse that I constantly remind myself of is that He who began a good work in your will continue it to the end. Imagine how terrible it would be if our salvation was held in our hands... scary thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that verse, it is so encouraging. Praise God that it's not in our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow yeah, I can totally relate to you Alla. It is so difficult sometimes to stay focused on the gospel and we get easily hardened to it. But every time I lift my gaze to the cross, there is so much joy and assurance. I am so thankful for the Jesus, who gives a reason to live :)

    ReplyDelete