Sunday, August 1, 2010

Grandma dearest.

As I walked into the dim hospital Saturday evening, I was little prepared for the sight that would be displayed before me. Snug in the hospital bed underneath the myriad of white linen was my grandma. A month was long enough to age her by what seemed years. Her face was sallow and thin, barely resembling the lady I knew. She lay there helpless, not without a smile though, when she saw her grandchildren stride into the room. It was heart wrenching. Immediately, I went and held her hand. One glance at her and you knew she was so ready to meet Jesus. I quietly inspected her face as she spoke softly to me. An array of defined wrinkles decorated her once youthful complexion. Her eyes bore deeply when she looked at me. The dark circles under her eyes depicted the tedious and strenuous weeks she had been facing with her treatment. Nonetheless, I saw such beauty in her. She was so beautiful to me. Underneath who she looked like, I saw her soul. I saw a strong person who had been fully devoted to living for God, who knew her God, and who was more than ready to see Him. I saw a strong character, yet a quiet and gentle spirit, that had been through numerous ordeals, but stood faithful to the Lord. I am tremendously grateful for the imprint that she will leave on my life. That day at the hospital, what shook me deeply was when she stated that she was always praying for me. Here is my grandma at one of the most crucial and frightening moments of her life, but even then she allows no self focus to permeate. She is thinking about her family. Astounding. It was heart warming to hear her crack a joke. "Grandma's still got her sense of humor," I uttered to my family. As we all laughed, I truly realized how much I was going to miss her. She is an inspiration to me. I pray God can cultivate such a character in myself also someday. Perhaps, when I'm old and gray and everything else fades away my love for God can remain as vivid as ever.

3 comments:

  1. how touching. I love reading your posts hun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that over all these years, she still has confidence in God :)

    ReplyDelete